To understand how often chiropractic adjustments are required I am going to make a comparison. This may seem like an unlikely one at first, especially given the philosophical and practical differences between the Western medical approach to health care and the wholistic/vitalistic approach we take as chiropractors so let me explain. Read more
What is it about Chiropractic that makes it so different?
The direct translation of chiropractic means “done by hand”. Primarily the goal of chiropractic care is to optimise one’s health with adjustments that stimulate and optimise nervous system and musculoskeletal function. Because of the intimate connection between the spinal column, spinal cord and nerves, biomechanical dysfunction between the vertebra of the spine can have far reaching effects. Our work as chiropractors is performed without the use of drugs and surgery. What makes us so different is that our focus and goal is not to actually treat the injury or disease. Our attention is on maximising the function of the nervous and musculoskeletal systems. It just so happens that in many cases as the body begins to function better other problems may in some cases (not all) begin to resolve as well.
Today chiropractic services have evolved to be a multifaceted healthcare approach, extending well beyond adjustments to include soft tissue releases, exercise and rehabilitation along with lifestyle related strategies for general wellness and longevity.
What is the real cause of your low back pain?
Ironically, some of the most common causes of low back pain are not primary problems of the lower back. Whilst many people present with a low back injury the primary cause or problem can often be somewhere else. While the causes of low back pain can be endless, the 3 big ones that I see daily in practice are: Read more
Ergonomics is something we address everyday with clients at Better Health. The science of workplace ergonomics, health and safety has come a long way over the last couple of decades but there is one thing we must not forget. Whilst there is an ideal way of setting your workstation up, no amount of ergonomic science is ever going to substitute for taking regular breaks and getting out of your chair. There is no one position you can sit in for hours on end that will be risk free to your health over the longer term. The only position that will keep you healthy and safe from injury is the one that is constantly changing! Read more
Chronic low back pain is more than just a muscle or joint problem. There is big difference between the treatment of acute pain (short term, first time and one off) v.s. chronic pain (long term and recurrent). If your back pain has been present for more than 6 months and associated with acute relapses during […]
Fact: Some stress is vital for life.
- Without the physical stress of gravity and movement your bones de-mineralise and joints degenerate.
- Without the chemical stress of digesting the foods that we eat we cannot produce the energy we need to stay alive.
- Without the emotional stress of varied social interactions we become isolated, emotionally deprived and can lose perspective.
Physical stress only becomes a problem when it exceeds our capability for repair and adaptation, chemical stress a problem when it exceeds our ability to eliminate and detoxify and emotional/mental stress when we are stretched beyond our ability to manage the prevailing circumstances. So in these instances situations such as: Read more
For your injury rehabilitation EMG biofeedback will give you real time feedback on how well your muscles are working. In this article we’ll explore the benefits of understanding your EMG biofeedback and how it can assist chiropractic care.
I hear you say, “I have already had all the tests done.”
Tests such as X-ray, MRI, ultrasound and C/T scans have one VERY MAJOR limitation.
In most cases they are done whilst you are still and therefore do not provide any real time information about what your body is doing in motion. Functional MRI scans are being used more and more but their use still tends to be limited to research facilities. Functional orthopaedic exams can give us some vital clues about our bodies in motion but can lack the sensitivity required to get the best result. This is where an EMG assessment can help provide some vital information about the cause of your problem and the best solution
There a a few things you need to understand first:
- Your problem probably did not just happen overnight. In most cases there have been months to years of cumulative trauma and stress that has brought you to our office.
- Healing takes time. Whether you are in pain or not doesn’t change how long healing and full repair takes. All healing goes through 3 stages beginning with acute inflammation, repair and finally remodelling. This entire process can take up to 12 months even though in many cases your pain may subside in the early stages.
- Treatment does not speed up healing. The goal of treatment is to remove any barriers interfering with the natural healing process taking place and to ensure 100% function is restored. Your body, how healthy you keep it and how much change you are willing to make will determine how quickly you heal.
- Adjustments do not put your joints back in place! Your nervous system does that. Adjustments are delivered to restore motion that has been lost and facilitate better neurological function. In just the same way that you cannot stretch a tight hamstring once and expect to resolve a lifetime of flexibility issues one chiropractic adjustment will not restore proper alignment long term.