Shockwave is a treatment helpful for chronic painful musculoskeletal conditions. It can be used to treat heel pain, shoulder pain or elbow pain and other chronic conditions.
Shockwave therapy (also called radial pressure wave) are acoustic waves (or sound waves). These are transmitted into the body by a handpiece directly to the painful area.
- Have an effect on a cellular level. This is beneficial for healing.
- Increase blood flow and help formation of new blood vessels.
- Improve tissue repair.
- Helpful for local pain relief.
Clinical studies have shown improvement in symptoms in:
- Plantar fasciitis. This is felt as pain under the arch of the foot or heel pain
- Chronic tendinopathies
- Tennis elbow
- Achilles tendinopathy
- Shoulder tendinopathy/ rotator cuff
- Myofascial trigger points- localised tender or painful areas in muscle.
Shockwave can be a helpful treatment for patients with chronic, painful conditions.
Prior to treatment you will require an initial physiotherapy or podiatry consultation. This is to assess if this treatment is appropriate for you.
The initial consultation will include an assessment, advice and may include exercises to help with your
If you have any questions, please give us a call on 9518 0722 so we can discuss this with you.